The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) is a federation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBTQ) Asian American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander (AAPI) organizations. We seek to build the organizational capacity of local LGBT AAPI groups, develop leadership, promote visibility, educate our community, enhance grassroots organizing, expand collaborations, and challenge homophobia and racism.
- NQAPIA currently serve as an umbrella org for many LGBTQ+ API organizations nationally. You would be in partnership & connection with 55+ orgs.
- Convenience and Trainings Every year NQAPIA hosts at least one convening (invite only) for all member orgs to gather at. The purpose is to be able to provide the org with training, collaboration space, and camaraderie with others who are also doing similar work. The conevenings differ year to year and are usually in different cities.
- As a federation member you will never pay for registration, food, or room rental. We cover all of those costs.
- Additionally, based on each org’s engagement we also supply additional funding for travel.
- Capacity Building Resources, Workshops, and Trainings Member organizations are targeted for technical assistance, fiscal sponsorship, and special trainings/workshops.
- technical assistance to groups in fundraising, outreach strategies, membership recruitment, leadership development, and organizational building.
- fiscal sponsorship to groups who seek foundation support but require a 501(c)3 tax-exempt status.
- free legal advice on organizational issues and nonprofit legal compliance by NQAPIA’s lawyers
- travel assistance to attend occasional trainings, such as the AAPI Institute during the National LGBTQ Task Force’s Annual Creating Change Conference.
- Increased Visibility and Promotion NQAPIA promotes local LGBTQ AAPI organizations. Member organizations are included in all listings of LGBTQ AAPI organizations, including NQAPIA’s website and descriptive directory of all of the nation’s LGBTQ AAPI groups. Organization are profiled at national workshops, suggested to funders for grant opportunities, and referred to media for quotes.
- National Conference This triennial conference brings together grassroots LGBTQ AAPI activists from across the nation for three days of community building, organizing, training, and — most importantly — fun! Member organizations decide the conference theme, keynote speaker, and major programs; are encouraged to submit and prioritized in the selection of workshops; and are eligible for priority consideration of any funding for travel support.
- National Campaigns and Programs Member organizations are integral in any national campaign, and they have the opportunity to provide advice, input, and recommendations on programmatic initiatives and priorities. Member organizations are welcome to join NQAPIA’s Working Committees to develop particular campaigns and activities. Member organizations can propose new projects.
- Multilingual Visibility Campaign Member organizations are highlighted in NQAPIA’s efforts to improve the visibility of LGBTQs in the mainstream AAPI community and the visibility of AAPIs in the broader LGBTQ community. NQAPIA works directly with member organizations on multilingual community education and outreach to ethnic, LGBTQ, and mainstream media.
- Fundraising NQAPIA tries to support member organizations with cash for occasional fundraising drives or major events. Proceeds from NQAPIA’s annual Community Catalyst Awards are sometimed shared with local co-sponsoring LGBTQ AAPI organizations.
- Fiscal sponsorship and tax-deductible donations Member organizations may also use NQAPIA’s online fundraising platform through ActBlue to receive tax-deductible credit card contributions.
What do you expect in return?
The only thing we desire is to build a national QTAPI movement. For that we need engagement. We ask all of our member groups do the following:
- Participate in 1-1 check Ins every three months with the membership organizer.
- Participate in Regional calls or Local Coalition every four months.
- Join a National Working committee within NQAPIA to build a campaign.
- Working Committees are:
- Rise of the Right (Chinese RIght & Hindu Fascism)
- Family Acceptance
- Health & Healing Justice
- TGNC Justice
- Legislative Rights & Protections
- Religious Acceptance
- Working Committees are:
Eligibility to Join the Federation
- An organization must be explicitly missioned as an LGBTQ+ API organization, that is by or for LGBTQ Asian Americans, South Asians, Southeast Asians, and Pacific Islanders.
- Must have been an active organization for six months.
- Must have Written Bylaws evidencing some formal structure
How do I join
Please email our Member Organizer at email@example.com if you are interested in joining the federation. The email should include the following things:
- Name of organization
- Name of two points of contact for org
- Name, Email, phone numbers.
- Organization’s Mission Statement:
- Organization Bylaws
- At Least one Social Media Account
- One Event Page. Email/ Flyer from the last 6 months.