The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance is a federation of LGBT Asian American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander (AAPI) organizations. NQAPIA builds the organizational capacity of local LGBT AAPI groups, develops leadership, invigorates local organizing, and challenges homophobia, transphobia, sexism, and racism.
NQAPIA coordinates national conferences only once every three years. Prior conferences were held in Washington, DC in 2012 with 350 attendees and Seattle, WA in 2009 with 250 attendees.
Over 350 people attended the National Conference in Chicago from August 6th – 9th, 2015.
The conference goals are to network, organize, agitate, educate, and build capacity of the nation’s LGBT AAPI community. We are committed to inclusion in every phase of conference planning, outreach, execution, and evaluation. Overall, we hope to press a progressive agenda that will bring all LGBT racial and ethnic minority groups into the full-fold of their families, society, the LGBT movement, and the AAPI community.
A public Request for Proposals (RFP) allowed our community to build the conference programming, including workshops, panel discussions, presentations, open forums, caucuses, daylong strategy meetings, and performance art.
- Conference-Wide Plenaries will address Racial Justice, Trans Justice, and International Solidarity.
- Workshops will cover a wide array of topics on politics, organizing, professional development, skills, arts and culture, health and wellness, fundraising, and more.
- Caucuses will provide opportunities to network based on region, topic, or identity (e.g., women, transgender, students/youth, bisexuals, South Asians, polyamorous).
- Social and cultural activities will allow us to recharge ourselves, connect with each other, and recognize our cultures.
- A General Membership Meeting at the conference end will be a strategic opportunity to discuss next steps, give feedback, and evaluate the conference.
- National Community Catalyst Awards Banquet will honor those who have improved the lives of the LGBT AAPI community. This event is for all ages, and a 10-course dinner and dancing will follow.
OTHER WEEKEND EVENTS
Northalstead Market Days
Two-day festival in Boystown with live musical acts by renowned artists and street vendors
Saturday & Sunday
August 8 – 9, 2015
The LGBT Bar Association’s annual Convention, Career Fair, and LGBT Expo at the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile
Wednesday – Saturday
August 5 – 8, 2015