$500 Matching Grant for Local Fundraising to Attend the National Conference
Request for Proposals (RFP)
The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) is a federation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Asian American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander (API) organizations. We seek to build the organizational capacity of local LGBT API groups, develop leadership, promote visibility, educate our community, enhance grassroots organizing, expand collaborations, and challenge anti-LGBTQ bias and racism.
NQAPIA is offering thirty (30) $500 “challenge grants” to LGBTQ API groups who conduct fundraising events to support their members to attend the NQAPIA National Conference in San Francisco from July 26-29, 2018. Up to $15,000 will be awarded to local groups.
The fundraising events can be of any kind or variety. NQAPIA will match the first $500 raised. For example, donors who give $5 will have their donations doubled to $10. The matching grant may also go towards covering event costs (e.g., food, space rental, performer stipends) but payment will not be made until after the event. Events must occur between January and June 20, 2018.
Groups do not need to be incorporated as a 501(c)3 nonprofit, but they should have a bank account in the organization’s name. NQAPIA can provide additional support such as 501(c)3 fiscal sponsorship to allow for tax-deductible donations, fundraising training, or coaching. This effort is made possible with the generous support of the Wallace E. Coulter Foundation.
Over 400 LGBTQ Asian Americans, South Asians, Southeast Asians, and Pacific Islanders are expected to attend NQAPIA’s triennial conference. Funds raised and matched must go towards costs associated with attending the National Conference. Below are the typical expected costs:
- Housing: $169/night/room plus tax at Hilton San Francisco Financial District
- Registration Fees: $300 Regular Rate/ $250 NQAPIA Member Group / $150 Limited income and Student Rate
- Flights: $150 from the West Coast, $300 from Midwest, $600 from the East Coast/South
- Ground Transportation: $30 via public transportation
- Meals: $0 – meals are provided at the conference
Learn more about the National Conference at nqapia.org/2018-national-conference.
In order to apply, organizations must provide the following information at bit.ly/matchinggrants:
- Organization name and website
- Contact name, email, phone
- Proposed date and location of the event (can be approximate but must occur before June 20, 2018)
- Type of event (e.g., dance, brunch, dinner, party, auction)
- Estimated attendance projected
- Goal amount to be raised ($)
- Name and address for where to send the check (may be a fiscal sponsor)
- EIN or Federal Tax ID number (if organization has one but not required)
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
All NQAPIA member groups are encouraged to apply. Member groups are organizations that are missioned as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ) Asian American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander (API) organizations.
Preference will be given to smaller organizations, traditionally underrepresented or under resourced groups, and past partnership and work with NQAPIA.
Non-NQAPIA member groups (e.g., allies, student groups, groups predominantly LGBTQ API) may apply after the deadline of March 23, 2018 and will be awarded pending the availability of funds.
A post event report is required including the same information in the application but with actual numbers (e.g., amount actually raised, number of actual attendees, final venue, actual date, specific type of event). From those who have an EIN or Federal Tax ID number, we also need a completed IRS W9 form. Other items requested but not required are:
- Supporting materials (a picture, flyer, screenshot of Facebook event post)
- Evaluation (a short one paragraph description of how the event went overall, what went well, what could be improved, and any lessons learned)
- Financial report
Application and Deadlines
Applications due by March 23, 2018 at bit.ly/matchinggrants.
Additional applications will be accepted after the date on a rolling basis pending the availability of funds.
For more information, contact Tia Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 224-280-2236.