The Past Seven Days and What’s Next
Seven days ago, NQAPIA kicked off a whole week of whirlwind activity. A quick overview:
- Friday 3/21: I joined my NQAPIA Co-Director Glenn Magpantay and SALGA-NYC’s Karen Naimool to provide a training for the We Build Community cohort of South Asian Americans Leading Together. Because Nico Quintana from the DC Trans Coalition also provided training specific to transgender communities, NQAPIA’s “LGB/Q” training gave local South Asian organizations tools and resources to better think about creating space for queer South Asian people in their communities and programs.
- Saturday 3/22: NQAPIA took a break from one South Asian crew to join another as we hosted local DC partner KhushDC’s Queer Women’s History Month event. Using technology to bring together contingents from Los Angeles, CA, San Francisco, CA, Madison, WI, Chicago, IL, and Toronto, Canada, participants held a national dialogue about increasing membership and involvement by queer women, transgender, and gender non-conforming people. All in all, a memorable weekend with South Asian LGBTQ and allied people building community and justice.
- Tuesday 3/25: LGBT AAPI leaders from Boston, MA, the Bay Area, CA, and Washington, DC joined the National Council of Asian Pacific American’s (NCAPA) solidarity fast for We Belong Together and the #Fast4Families campaign. My fast took place during the Alliance for Citizenship’s Campaign Summit where I built up more hunger for immigration reform and justice for families torn apart by deportation. The following day, the NCAPA issued a statement about the House Democrat’s “discharge petition,” and our ongoing work to fight for immigrant families.
The action doesn’t stop here. In the next week, we’ve got even more action happening:
- Saturday 3/28: NQAPIA’s 2014 Community Catalyst Awards will honor Q-WAVE on their 10th anniversary, as well as activists Namita Chad and Andy Marra. It’s going to be a full house in TriBeCa, and we’re looking forward to bringing the New York City area community together!
- Friday 4/4: NQAPIA will launch its 2014 Regional Summits with events in Atlanta, GA (4/4-6) and Portland, OR (4/11-4/13). We’re looking forward to joining our local partners in the South and Pacific Northwest to build skills, build community, and build ACTION!
Ben de Guzman, NQAPIA Co-Director for Programs