The new year isn’t 31 days old and we’ve already hit the ground running! Between our Board Meeting, Creating Change, and everything happening in Washington, DC, we’re keepin’ it movin’!
This e-mail includes the latest information about the following:
- NQAPIA Announcements and Activities: NQAPIA Board Meeting, NQAPIA at the Inauguration and Creating Change
- Around the Horn: New York, Portland, Philadelphia
- News and Notes: NQAPIA Statement on Comprehensive Immigration Reform
As always, for more information, contact NQAPIA directly at email@example.com, and check out our web site.
NQAPIA Announcements and Activities
NQAPIA Board Meeting: NQAPIA’s Board met on January 12-13 in New York City and voted to add three new board members- I Li Hsiao from Chicago, IL, Michelle Lee from Los Angeles, CA, and Alan Ratliff from Chicago, Il. Welcome a”BOARD!”
Inauguration: NQAPIA participated in a number of events over the weekend of President Obama’s second Inauguration. Our comprehensive list of events throughout the weekend was one of the first lists publicly released and served as a resource for many guests coming to the nation’s capital.
Photo: Congressman Mark Takano (D-CA) during Inauguration weekend with NQAPIA Co-Director Ben de Guzman with Unid@s (LGBT Latino organization) Director Lisbeth Melendrez Rivera
Creating Change: NQAPIA is proud to play a leading role in coordinating activity for the AAPI communities every year at Creating Change: The National Conference for LGBT Equality. It may have been the most AAPI Creating Change to date, as over 3,000 activists converged on Atlanta from January 24-27 to participate in a conference that included:
- Two AAPI LGBT Keynotes: Deepak Barghava and Jose Antonio Vargas
- SAGE Leadership Award: Southeast Asia Resource Action Center
- AAPI Institute: Over 90 participants in the third annual day-long Institute organized by NQAPIA, API Equality- Northern California and API Equality- Los Angeles, including 24 participants from China taking part in a leadership program through the LA LGBT Center.
- An Entire Slate of Programming: NQAPIA’s list of programming at Creating Change is here.
Around the Horn: Actions and Activities in the AAPI LGBT Community
New York, NY: New York AAPI LGBT organizations and activists will, once again, be running the “Lunar New Year for All” LGBTQ contingent in Manhattan Chinatown’s historic Chinatown parade on Sunday, February 17.
News and Notes: National Legislative and Policy Updates
Statement on Comprehensive Immigration Reform: NQAPIA issued a statement on the proposals presented by President Obama and the Senate that can be found on its web site. NQAPIA launched its Comprehensive Immigration Reform Postcard Campaign at Creating Change during Jose Antonio Vargas’ keynote speech and plenary with other queer immigrant rights activists (look after 23:00 in the video).
Ben de Guzman
NQAPIA Co-Director for Programs